The Quick & Simple Overview
We are HeyWow, a small independent, book-loving, company based in the North West of Scotland.
We need to collect a certain amount of information from you to create your one-of-a-kind book and be able to post it out to you. We don't share your information around with anyone who is not part of the book-making & sending process.
To create your book we need:
- your name and postal details,
- your email address (so that we can contact you about your order status and provide update emails),
- the name of the child/children who the books is for
- their delivery address if different to yours,
- their photo (that is used in the book)
- your payment details (we use the Stripe payment processing system to ensure safe and secure online payments. We don't store or collect any financial information.)
We send the delivery information and the book featuring your childs photo to our wonderful book printers PrimeGroup who print, bind and ship your book.
We store all your information on a secure server and delete it within 2 months. This allows time to create any replacements needed if the book gets damaged, lost or chewed by the dog.
PrimeGroup delete all the information within 30 days.
You also have the option to join our newsletter (we hope you do) so that we can email you now and again with special offers, news about new products and other fun, kid-related inspiration.
We will never share your email with any third parties or do anything else we're not supposed to do and you can unsubscribe from this at any time by clicking on the link at the bottom of any newsletter email you receive from us. Our newsletter and email list is managed by us using MailChimp.
If at any time you have any questions, no matter how silly they may seem, drop us a line at:
Now here's the more formal (slightly boring) legal bit...
We are a company registered in Scotland (registration number SC510205) under the name HeyWow Ltd.
The address of our registered office is:
Office 1, 4 George Street, Oban, PA34 5RX.
The data controller is HeyWow Ltd.
What personal information do we collect about you ?
When you access and move around HeyWow, register an Account with HeyWow or purchase a Product from HeyWow, we may collect some or all of the following personal data about you:
- A username and password;
- Your name and name of the person you're creating a product for;
- Billing and delivery addresses, email address and phone number(s);
- Your Images and other User Content for creating your product;
- Correspondence with and from HeyWow;
- Your preferences about receiving communications from HeyWow;
- Information about your use of HeyWow, and your browsing and online purchasing activities; and details we may ask you to submit to verify your identity.
We do not collect your financial information. This is collected and stored by third party payment processors such as Stripe and Paypal.
In order to take advantage of some of our Services, you may need to supply us with the personal details of a third party (for example, their name and address if you wish to send them a Product). We will not use this information for anything other than providing the Services for which the information was supplied.
How do we use your personal information ?
Your personal data will be collected, processed, stored and used by us, and passed to and processed by our subsidiary and/or affiliated companies and other data processors acting under contract with us.
When you sign up to HeyWow and agree to our terms and conditions, we need to process certain data that allows HeyWow:
- To provide the HeyWow service to you in accordance with our agreement;
- To create personalised Products selected by you;
- To associate your Account, and your Product purchases, with you, and to verify your identity;
- To tailor aspects of HeyWow (including its search function and offers) to you;
- To process payments you make for Products;
- To pass your Product order for delivery by third party deliverers engaged by us;
- To provide customer support and improve your customer experience;
- To contact you by email and mobile communication (such as text (SMS) and "push" notification) in relation to the products or services you have purchased.
If you’ve told us it’s OK (or unless you’ve asked us not to after a purchase), we would like to contact you to provide information about products or services we think might interest you. You may withdraw this consent at any time.
The emails we send to you fall into two categories:
- Emails which provide you with information about offers, new products and other things that we think may interest you or HeyWow customers generally. You can notify us of your preferences concerning our newsletters here: [email protected]
- The emails and messaging alerts that we send concerning activity on your HeyWow account ("Service Messages"), specifically
- To remind you of unordered items in your online basket
- To remind you of product creations that you have abandoned
- Surveys to capture your feedback on orders you have placed with HeyWow
For legitimate business reasons we will also process your data for customer satisfaction and customer experience improvement purposes, such as by analysing data we hold about you, and combining it with data held by third parties, in order to discern your interests, demography and other factors, and in consequence to offer goods and services that are likely to have the greatest value to you. We would also use this data in connection with the prevention and detection of fraud and other crime.
If you are asked to provide a phone number for a Product you are ordering, note that the phone number will be provided to the deliverer of your order – and (unless you specifically opt not to permit this) will appear on your order's packaging – to assist with the delivery process. If you do not wish your phone number to be used in this way, then please do not provide a phone number when placing your order.
We may automatically collect anonymous information about your use of HeyWow. For example, we may automatically log which parts of HeyWow you access, which web browser you deploy and the website from which you linked to HeyWow. You cannot be identified from any of this information. It enables us to compile statistics about the use of HeyWow, and to help target aspects of HeyWow and advertising to you more accurately.
Disclosing your personal data
We will not disclose any of your personal data, other than to subsidiary and/or affiliated companies and data processors (including deliverers and payment service providers) under contract with us. To enable us to provide our service, we share data with the following categories of organisations:
- Information technology (hardware and software) companies
- Payment processing companies
- Manufacturers, wholesalers and retailers
- Delivery and courier services
- Fraud prevention companies
- Advertising and marketing services companies
We will not share your data with any other categories of organisation without your permission unless:
- we are legally entitled to do so (for example, pursuant to a court order or for the purposes of prevention or detection of crime or fraud);
- we are in negotiations with a third party for the sale or purchase of any of HeyWow’s business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets;
- HeyWow, or substantially all of its assets, is acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by HeyWow about its customers will be one of the transferred assets; or
Email and Text preferences
If/when you sign up, we will ask you if you’d like to receive information about other products and services via email and/or our email newsletter. You can click “Unsubscribe” on any email you receive.
When you make a purchase or when we have important information to tell you about your account, you will receive service messages to keep you up to date.
We may transfer personal data that we collect from you to third party data processors located in countries that are outside of the European Economic Area (EEA) in connection with the above purposes. Please be aware that countries outside the EEA may not offer the same level of data protection as the United Kingdom; however, we always require that third party data processors deal with your personal data in accordance with this privacy notice. Any transfers are done in accordance with the standards laid down by the EU Commission and/or decisions of the European Court of Justice.
Your data is kept only for the time necessary to provide the service or product you request, or to fulfil the purpose outlined in this policy.
All uploaded photos and related names requested for creation of our Products will be held for 2 months (incase re-prints are required). After this time they will be deleted. If you have not logged into your account for 12 months, your personal details and any photos or other content will be deleted. Any photos you have uploaded may be kept for longer in a depersonalised form (i.e they can no longer be associated with you or your account) for research and analytical purposes. We retain other minimal data for tax, anti-fraud and other purposes in accordance with our data retention policy.
You can contact us at any time to fully delete all your photos and related information.
Under the EU General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 (GDPR) you have a number of rights you can exercise over your data. Your rights are:
- The right to receive a copy of your data free of charge (know as a Subject Access Request)
- The right to receive certain data in an electronic format that can be given to another provider (a portability request)
- The right to have data corrected if it is inaccurate
- The right to ask us to stop processing or object to processing under certain circumstances
- The right to ask us to erase data in certain circumstances
- The right to withdraw consent at any time when that is the legal basis for our processing
To discuss any of these rights, please contact us at [email protected].
Additionally, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Data Protection regulator. In our case, this is the Information Commissioner's’ Office in the UK. Details of how to contact them can be found at ICO.org.uk.
Links to third party sites
Our Site may, from time to time, contain links to the websites of third parties. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for those websites or their policies.
We employ appropriate technical and organisational measures to guard against unauthorised or unlawful processing of your personal data and against accidental loss or destruction of, or damage to, your personal data. We believe the measures implemented by our site reduce the likelihood of security problems to a level appropriate to the type of data involved.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal data transmitted via the internet. Any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your personal data, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
Within HeyWow Limited, we restrict access of your personal data to those of our employees who have a business reason for knowing such data. We also maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards that comply with the relevant laws and regulations to protect your personal data from any unauthorised access.
Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password that enables you to access certain parts of the Website, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
We have security measures in place to protect our database of Users and access to this database is restricted internally. However, there are things we can all do to help stay safe and secure online:
- ensure no-one else uses HeyWow through your Account;
- log off or exit from your HeyWow Account when not using it;
- keep your password or other access information secret;
- use different passwords for different services you use online
- ensure you’re using the most up-to-date versions of your software.
Information about Cookies
A cookie is a small file of letters and numbers that we store on your browser or the hard drive of your computer if you agree. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer's hard drive.
We use the following cookies:
Strictly necessary cookies
These are cookies that are required for the operation of our Website. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas of our Website, use a shopping cart or make use of e-billing services.
They allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around our Website when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way our Website works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily.
These are used to recognise you when you return to our Website. This enables us to personalise our content for you, greet you by name and remember your preferences (for example, your choice of currency or language).
These cookies record your visit to our Website, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We will use this information to make our Website and the advertising displayed on it more relevant to your interests. We may also share this information with third parties for this purpose.
You block cookies by activating the setting on your browser that allows you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies. However, if you use your browser settings to block all cookies (including essential cookies) you may not be able to access all or parts of our site.
Except for essential cookies, all cookies will expire after a maximum of twelve months.
We will never ask you to confirm the details of your Account or Payment Method by email or mobile communication. If you receive such contact, please do not respond to it.
Updates to this notice
This privacy notice was last updated on 8th May 2018 Please check back regularly to keep informed of changes to this Notice.
Resources & Further Information
Overview of the GDPR – General Data Protection Regulation
Data Protection Act 1998
Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations 2003
The Guide to the PECR 2003
Our suppliers / service providers